Wednesday, January 13, 2010








that seemed to work, so let's try another.. the next photo is one of the panels from the tile mural i made there, using molds and the slip cast that came pouring out of a tube in my studio, the tiles are 25" square and after the firing they shrunk to 23", this one based on the wall drawing I did in a gallery at Fiskars in Finland where i spent 3 months as artist in residence. the next photo shows the tiles as i was laying them out bringing them together,
After focusing on the tiles I decided to go upstairs and get one of the casters to make a fresh toilet ( greenware)for me that I could carve and add my carvings to, to create a fountain of sorts,
which I then glazed in the beautiful kohler cobalt blue. this piece I want to use as part of my next installation somewhere. I ended up with three carved toilets, one is now part of Kohler's permanent collection at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center there, a truly amazing museum, of which I am proud to be part in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, in the great midwestern USA.
I then did a series of sink drawings, where I gathered a few fresh and beautiful sinks to make my drawings upon, these also will be part of the toilet fountain installation (coming soon). one of these is pictured... also you can see little swimmer man-(who came to me from the good graces of kinder-eggs- the lovely chocolate eggs from europe with toys inside -i usually buy too many of these whenever i'm in that continent...-) he's swimming around the confines of the piece called Atlantis- a carved toilet that I left with Ruth Kohler for the Kohler Art collection... context is everything. Sometimes.
Life at Kohler much reflected that which happened all around me, i worked endlessly, our little residence house was situated in the center of a vast soybean field that changed colors as the winter settled in all around; I mostly rode my bike from home to factory it was close by and because there was really nothing else to do but work, so i often spent 12-14 hours there drawing tiles, carving toilets making my stumps and cities...

No comments:

Post a Comment