Wednesday, January 13, 2010

flatland






the summer took me to many and various places from ghetto to glorious, in the chunk of land called Europe... I was brought over there by the US embassy in Paris, as a "cultural envoy"... more about that later, last things first so i can keep things in order. So I made some arrangements to stay longer so I could make the most of my time out of town. I found on the web a group of people in the city of Delft, who were giving artists spaces to make their work, housed in a giant complex of high rises. the spaces were set in buildings that were being prepared to be demolished, and upon my arrival there from Paris I found i had a nice flat on the top floor which i was to fill with drawings for a month...
after a week of floundering i found a can of blue paint in the closet, chunky but useable and decided it would become a blue drawing, in both theme and color, with a black and white mirror: a wall flower drawing, in the next room. I also decided that the image in the far room would contain giant sprawling figures, a form i usually don't work with, but somehow i found that it made sense in the context of flatland.
these figures
caught up in a dream world
lying on top of each other
draped in blue-
blue tattoos
silver drawings of fragments of faces
formed lines on the fingers of the
one giant colossus
with big toes
sleeping in silence
maybe never waking
until the wrecking ball pulls the house down.

1 comment:

  1. very very nice stuff, paul. i'm digging the virtual feel of those real spaces.
    dan s.

    ReplyDelete